There have been a number of changes in the membership of the NISE Network as well as the Scientific Council.
Two institutes from the Baltic region have recently joined the NISE Network.
The Ajaloo Instituut (Institute of History), located in the Estonian capital Tallinn, was established in 1947 as part of the Soviet Academy of Sciences. It became part of Tallinn University, in 2005 as unifying structure for the faculties, chairs, laboratories and other structural units of three former institutions as well as the three chairs of the former Department of History which are now incorporated in the institute. All research is carried out with the help of project funding. See more on the institute at its website.
The LU Latvijas vēstures institūts (Institute of Latvian History) in Riga came into existence in 1936 during the first Latvian independence period. It was integrated into the Soviet Academy of Sciences after World War II and remained part of its Latvian equivalent with the second independence period from the 1990’s onwards; it will however soon acquire a more autonomous status, as well as move to university premisses. The LVI covers the whole of Latvian history, including that of its national movement. See more on the institute at its website.
Enric Ucelay da Cal, professor at Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona, has had to withdraw from the Scientific Council for personal reasons. NISE wants to thank him warmly for his valuable contribution to the launch of and subsequent progress made by the platform, not in the least as host to the SC meeting in Barcelona in 2012.